Senior Testimonial and Advice for the College Application Process, Part 3

The next student reflection on the college application process is written by senior, Sean Drennan. Enjoy!

The college search and application process seems like a daunting task to many rising seniors. To myself it seemed like I had to get over a 10 foot fence. First researching and finding colleges that you would like to visit is a tough task. Getting down the location, size, and type of college you want to attend seems like an easy task but there's so many options that you don't even know where to start.

After finding the list of colleges that you want to apply to, the application process comes into play. This was actually the easy part of the process for me. In order to make this part easier many schools that I applied to had rolling admissions or the deadlines were spread out from the months of November through January. This made the essays I had to write easier to spread out thus making them better for the admissions representatives. Another tip for college essays is to get the common application essay done as early as possible. This allows your senior year English teacher to read them before you send them to colleges.

The most difficult part of the college process for me was perfecting my Common Application essay. I was submitting this essay to 4 colleges so I wanted it to be good enough to get me into these colleges. Luckily, it worked and I was able to perfect it and be accepted to those colleges.

One of the most surprising things during the entire application process was how short it actually took to apply to colleges. To colleges with no essay it took only about 25 minutes in order to complete the application and send in my ACT scores. I thought that filling out applications would be a rigorous process and take up a lot of time.

Another tip I have for the college application process is to believe in yourself and apply to schools that you love and would be happy to go to. Grades are not the only thing that get you into a college. If you fall in love with a reach school, still apply and just show your high interest in the school. They will take that into consideration and it may help your decision. Also, I recommend creating a resume to submit to every college that you apply to.


Good luck to everyone with the college application process and I hope that you all get into the colleges that you want!

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Going Merry - Making College Scholarships Easier

Introducing Micro-Scholarships for College from Raise.me

2018 Admissions Report & the Importance of Crafting the College List